Tuesday 23 August 2016

Bargains ... But Not for Us to Use


I've just realised that I have yet to get around to showing you what I bought from the garden centre when I called in there last week with Mum.  

We had our lunch somewhere else but decided on the spur of the moment to drive to our usual lunch venue Wyevale in Altrincham, as Mum had heard there were final reductions in the end of season sale there.

And as soon as we walked in I spotted these fireguards, reduced from £14.99 to just £1 each.  Brilliant I thought if I buy three of these and sell them at the car boot sale for £3 each that will cover our entrance fee and the fuel we need to get there and so make it a completely cost neutral day ... and still give any purchaser a really good bargain for the coming Winter.


As I picked three up an assistant who was restocking the area must have overheard our conversation and shouted over to us 'there are some more of them if you want more', I said no thanks that I was more than happy with three and I went to pay for them and put them in the car while Mum ordered the coffees.

When I got to the checkout the assistant rang them through the till and then knocked an additional 70% off as that is what they were doing with ALL the sale goods.


So I got the fire guards for just 30p each!!

Needless to say, I went back and got three more after we had finished our coffee  :-)

So now we have six fireguards with a usual selling price total of £89.94, that cost me just £1.80 and that we will hopefully be able to sell for a total of £18.  So that will be our costs for the day covered and a little bit of spending money too.  Result!!

Sue xx


18 comments:

  1. I did something similar at a quilt shop. They were having a porch sale and selling $300 quilt kits for $50. I think the local market was saturated with these kits. I took a chance and bought all 5. Sold each one for $200 on Ebay. Pays to look around and sometimes take a chance. Ana USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, I saw those the other day, I thought when I got home I should have got them I could have sold on local gumtree, we have two Wyevale garden centres here, I might have a look again next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing a little reselling all helps for the kitty.

      Delete
  3. OMG. I'm in shock, that's got to be the best purchase ever.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds to me as though you are a loss to the wider commercial world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do similar things over here in the states. It is amazing what you can find and resell to cover your gas and entrance fees to things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow such a bargain well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow such a bargain well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. As I said ... they are not for us!! We have a large log burner (with a door) so we don't need a fire guard.

      Delete
  9. Well done, that's absolutely brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! We don't have car boot sales in Oregon, instead we have yard and garage sales. I tried a garage sale once - never again! I tried selling on ebay and amazon but it's always "run to the post office". Just not my cup of tea I guess. Still you did great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well spotted, Sue, what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have needed a fire guard just like this for ages! After seeing this bargain on you page I drove to my local Wyevale garden centre in Marple which is about 30 min drive away but there didn't seem to be any sale on and I couldn't find anything. I still managed to spend £15 on seeds and plant pots though. Might try to convince my hubby to take me to Altrincham tomorrow, If you haven't bought them all! I love your blogs and read them every day. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but the sale is over there now, except for a few odds and sods and lots of seeds at 50p a pack. No fireguards that I could see anywhere :-(

      Delete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.