Monday 17 October 2016

Colour and Progress


I've never had much success with Sweet Peas before, but this year it seems I really have done something right.  If I knew what it was I would replicate it every year, but gardening and growing is sometimes a law unto itself.  I sometimes think that if Mother Nature wants something to grow she will see that it does and it's just a happy coincidence if we want it to grow too.

The sweet peas that were over on the hillside on the Veggie Patch are long since finished but these in the front drive-side bed have just started flowering, and it seems they are all to be this lovely pale lilac colour.  They make me smile every time I pass by on the way to the tunnels or the paddock.


Work this weekend was once again based around measuring, cutting and creosoting.  We do get cleaned up and shower when we have finished each day, but on Saturday night sitting in the cinema I leaned over to Lovely Hubby and whispered "do I smell of creosote" ... "I think we both do" was his reply!!


One more weekend should see this finished .  This week's progress might not look much but the measuring and cutting to get the pieces right for the top of the window frames was time consuming and fiddly, and required some hand sawing.  Also we are now at a level that means we are balancing on ladders to get the boards in place .... not good for me with my wibbly, wobbly ladder balancing  :-(


Another little splash of colour, this time a cheerful yellow from the Genista over by the gates.  It really is nice to see so much colour at this time of year, and the mild temperatures are helping lots of plants flower much later than they should, including the seemingly perpetual pink rose in the bed opposite the front door that has only had two months off in the last three years.

Sue xx

12 comments:

  1. I love this! Can we move in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have both worked so hard and created such a gorgeous home, it all looks so good, you should both be very proud x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shed is the same size as our cottage x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow-those sweet peas are so beautiful! Shed is looking good. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your shed - It must be wonderful to live in such a beautiful picturesque place :-) Daisy x PS Love the Sweet Pea too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such splashes of colour are welcome at this time of the year

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just planted some sweet peas here, as it is the start of our spring. I am hoping they will take off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done you! I have never tried growing sweet peas, but in my old house my next door neighbour had them and she would give me a bunch every now and then. The scent was divine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the biggest challenges with growing things is that conditions are never the same from one year to the next. The only way to get consistency is with artificial environments, which are OK if you are a commercial grower, but not the right way to go for an amateur. I know they say you can sow Sweet Peas about now, but the few times I grew them I felt that it was a struggle to keep them going until better weather came along. Spring sowing suits me better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That shed is nicer than many small houses. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You trendsetter you. Next year eau du creosote will be selling for fifty quid a bottle.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are now turned off for this old blog of mine. Thank you for reading the posts, I hope you enjoyed them. xx

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.